03 October 2009

The southerly buster

It was the long weekend and I was all organised with Nicky to crew on Saturday and Rae on Sunday and Monday. The plan was to launch at Maclean and head up to Brushgrove. However we were foiled by finding that the Clarence River was "closed" on the Sunday for the annual Bridge to Bridge event.


We quickly revised the plan and launched at Harwood planning to overnight at Iluka. The tide was good, an ebb all the afternoon, but I knew there was a strong wind warning and forecast of a 20-30 knot southerly coming in that evening. So although there wasn't much wind when we left we still put in a reef "just in case...".


All went well until we reached the green Goodwood Island buoy. I was on the helm and Nicky below phoning Rob about our new plan. Before we left Harwood John had commented that we would see the southerly approach. Well I didn't. Reflecting back on what happened next I realise that I must get far smarter at predicting changes before they happen.




Within a minute around 2.30 pm the wind shifted from around 13 knots NW to gale force southerly. I am not exaggerating. The weather observations at Yamba recorded the wind gusting to 34 knots. Lucky we had the reef in. To keep off the lee shore I had to attempt to hold her on the wind. We barrelled along heading ominously towards the rocks protecting the Goodwood Island Wharf. I managed to get the motor on and get her under control past the rocks. Then I saw that it was possible to come ashore on sand to the East of the wharf. I made a snap decision to do this.




The southerly buster had put an end to fishing for the day and two fishermen were packing up their gear when they suddenly saw Little Dragon hurtling towards them. They leapt into action and caught us. The sails were flogging wildly and it was quite a struggle to get them down. The jib furler wasn't up to the task.




At this point the fishermen, Steve and his son Ben, who live close to the Browns Rocks Caravan Park, would have been quite entitled to think that they had helped us out of danger and leave us to sort ourselves out. Not a bit of it, Steve drove me to the Big River Sailing Club to fetch my car and trailer leaving Ben to help Nicky hold the boat. Little Dragon came ashore just by a sandy spot mullet fishermen use to launch but the sand was far too soft for my car to pull her out. Steve said he would try with his stronger vehicle but it ended up bogged. So Steve dispatched his son to fetch his father-in-law's tractor. We waited and soon father-in-law arrived and surveyed the scene. His plan was that I motored round to the other end of the wharf where there was a better ramp where it would be possible for his tractor to pull me out. Nicky and I were a bit nervous heading back out into the wild weather but all went well. A huge thank you to Steve, Ben and father-in-law. I promise I will return the favour if ever the opportunity arises.




We had been towing the Zodiac as we would need it at Iluka. While waiting for the tractor we carried it up the bank close to the road ready to pack it up into the boot of my car.


By this time Rob had arrived to collect Nicky and they left around the time Rae showed up. She was mystified at my text telling her to come to Goodwood Island Wharf rather than Maclean. The wind was still so strong that it was whipping up the gravel on the road. While I was packing Little Dragon up Rae went to roll up the Zodiac. A few minutes later she came back and said she couldn't find it but she had found a long neck black turtle. I had a look and it had definitely gone. Vanished.


Goodwood Island Wharf is on a back road and only half a dozen or so vehicles had passed us in either direction. One of them must have stopped and thrown the Zodiac into the back of their ute. I am trying to think that maybe they thought it was abandoned...... It wasn't and I would like it back. Model C240 Serial No Z11101


Later Nicky and I had a debrief. I have already said that I must learn to recognise approaching southerly busters. Apart from that we reckon that Little Dragon did well. She didn't go anywhere near capsizing and the motor started when needed. Lastly I am going to pay more heed to strong wind warnings and stay ashore. Another adventure over. Sorry you never got a sail Rae.







Posted by Picasa

No comments: