18 December 2008

Peter comes to the rescue

So far all I have told you about Peter Barnes of Brunswick HeadsPosted by Picasais that he sails a Farr 6000 (which I covet). You need to know more about him, as a young man he qualified as a fitter and turner and later in life was a prawn trawlerman and even built his own trawlers. Although he has now retired he still has a well equipped workshed and enjoys "fixing things".

While we were on The Tweed (see previous post) we rafted up and he came aboard. I mentioned a few hassles and he spotted some problems that I hadn't noticed. He said that he can't stand a boat [referring to Little Dragon] not being up to scratch:

* mainsheet slipping in jam cleat -the obvious option of a new jam cleat wasn't a goer as the present one is probably well over 26 years old and the new sizes just won't fit. Solution: he offered to take the fitting to pieces, file the teeth and put it together again.

* rudder needing superhuman strength to raise and lower - Peter worked out that new nylon bushing material cut into shape [a fiddly job] and inserted at the base of the rudder would fix the problem.

* the jam cleats for the jib sheets had come loose - problem was that the wooden blocks had started to disintegrate with age. Solution to fabricate new ones with nylon bushing material and fix with long new screws.

* missing peg attaching boom to mast - it had fallen out and Peter offered to fabricate a screw.

* pointed out that I need new scim fittings and life rails - I now know the signs of wear to look out for and will deal with these early in the New Year.

* last but certainly not least he offered to fix the rewelded mast step securely to the cabin top. The boatyard was closed until after Christmas so I was thrilled with Peter's offer and relieved that the insurance assessor gave him the go ahead. This involved fabricating a metal plate to go inside the cabin and screwing the mast step down onto the plate with giant screws.

Peter worked solidly on all these jobs for three long hot days with complete success. I ran around buying the various bits and pieces. It is not easy to obtain marine grade stainless steel screws or nylon bushing material around Byron Bay. I have learnt heaps. I now know the difference between 304 and 316 grade stainless steel.

Peter I don't know how to thank you enough for doing all this as a volunteer. I have no idea who else would/could have undertaken such fiddly and time consuming jobs. When the mast step broke (see previous post) I thought it was virtually impossible that I would be sailing again the next weekend. You made it happen.

No comments: