23 February 2009

The prawn trawling fleet

Another peaceful night aboard Little Dragon and at 7 am I had just boiled the billy and brewed up my earl grey tea and was contemplating returning to my bunk to finish the SMH. Suddenly the boat rocked violently and my cuppa was in the scuppers. A prawn trawler had motored down the river towards Iluka. I looked up river and saw about 100 metres behind a second trawler, then a third, then a fourth. They were all motoring at the same speed and keeping the same distance apart like a military convoy. I lost count but I reckon that there were around 30 and each one rocked Little Dragon violently and heaven knows what damage they cause to the banks.

Keith Mountford (another swimming friend who has sailed with me previously at Ballina) arrived for a day sail and to help me pack up. Unfortunately there was virtually no wind. Undeterred we set off under motor hoping for at least a light breeze to come up. It usually does by late morning on the Clarence River. It didn't so we anchored on the opposite side of the river and had lunch. Still no breeze and we were just about to give up and motor back when we saw cats paws. A slight ripple on the water. The sails started to fill. In the nick of time the breeze came and we set sail very tentatively upstream towards Harwood Bridge.

By the time we reached the bridge there was enough wind to start enjoying ourselves and we tacked all the way back to Harwood. Unfortunately our time ran out and we had to pull the boat out and pack up. Thanks Keith for all your help.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: