29 June 2009

Tin Can Bay to Kauri Creek

Pat and I drove back from the Whitsundays to Tin Can Bay and were reunited with Little Dragon still perched high and dry in the yard of the holiday shack. Nicky and Noela had to fly home and start work immediately.





Again the holiday shack and Tin Can Bay proved a great spot to rest up for a couple of days.



But the sun was shining, the tides just right and the wind favourable. So we couldn't resist planning an overnighter, especially as we had found a chart in the holiday shack.




I thought things were going well when I managed to back down the wide ramp with a reasonable degree of aplomb. Suddenly I heard an ominous crunch. Instead of waiting for me a guy had backed his trailer right into my front bumper. Then he had the gall to blame his wife - her crime was not to be there to guide him!



One can only launch at the public jetty near high tide. This was late morning so we were able to take advantage of the ebb all the afternoon. We had a splendid sail reaching Kauri Creek (which is to put it in non-nautical terms) first on the left past the Wide Bay Bar.





It is time to show that even though Little Dragon doesn't have a galley we still manage to brew a decent cup of coffee. That evening after enjoying the sunset we feasted on a couple of surprisingly tasty precooked rice and curry mixes that only needed heating in their sachets.






Next day we tacked all the way back to Tin Can Bay, this time taking advantage of the morning flood tide.





The shackles keep coming off the track on the mast and the photo is of me (yet again) fixing the problem. Hopefully my new sails (due late August) won't have the same problem.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Larry said...

I wouldn't dream of taking anything away from wonderful Jessica Watson, Jesse Martin, Robin Graham or even Joshua Slocum, but I get much more pleasure reading of your adventures.

I have had a wonderful trailer sailer sitting in my yard for a couple of years. This year I am planning semi-retirement and will be using your blog as a game plan from our travels.
Thank You
For posting