04 December 2009

Ted is a poodle not a dog

4 December 09. John Woods had volunteered to meet me at the BRSC on Friday afternoon to see if he could fix the loud hum in the centreboard case. John arrived with Ted and I made a grave error in referring to Ted as "a dog". I was promptly informed that he is "a poodle". Seeing that John was doing me a favour it seemed wise to agree - Ted is a poodle. Ted the poodle later came sailing with us.
John got underneath the trailer to see what he could do. He found that the only thing he could access was the bolt holding the keel. So he loosened it 3 turns.




Then we went off sailing up to the bridge to see if this slight adjustment had made any difference. It had. The hum was almost, but not quite, gone. Thanks John.




However, next day when we went out the hum was back - not as bad as the previous weekend but much more than when I went out with John.




Andrew the shipwright told me that he had cut the new winch wire long enough so that the keel was fully down when there were 3 turns left on the drum. It seems that the hum is much reduced if I keep winding so that there are no turns left on the drum. The problem really is irritating. Just when one wants to enjoy the pleasant sound of lapping water there is this tiresome hum.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: