21 March 2010

Supporting Team Sheelas

Sunday 21 March started with the proud owners trying to look nonchalant while frantically making last minute adjustments to their craft. I was particularly interested in Stan's tin canoe. It was named "Noelzie" after his disabled wife. His Tshirt did not lie when it stated boldly "Big Dude". If Stan can fit into a tin canoe then maybe I can as well, well maybe... 
This is Rob Crosby's tin canoe Odd Job, a very different design.
The canoes lined up on the beach ready for the start. There was very little wind for race 1. Cathy and I had to leave before the later races to catch the tide back to Harwood and the wind didn't come up come up until well after we left. When we returned early evening for the prize giving we were regaled with tall tales of numerous capsizes and rescues. A special trophy was given  to a rescuer (who shall remain anonymous) who threw a line to Stan who was heading for the rocks but forgot to secure the line to the rescue boat. Luckily all's well that ends well.
The Commodore gave a course briefing and and then got  the skippers to line up ready for a running start when the canon was fired.
Race 1 underway. Cathy and I were cheering on the Sheelas who won (I don't think we helped). They were ecstatic as it was their first ever win. The rules permit a maximum of 2 paddles per canoe and both paddling and sailing are allowed. A trophy is awarded for the best paddler but I seem to remember that a trophy was also awarded for the crew that did the most sailing v paddling.
The Big Dude again. Stan is a woodworker who claims not to have much sailing experience, despite that he came second in each of the four races and carried off the main trophy.

I am still dreaming .... Shame I don't have any tin canoe building skills...  I wonder if the 10 teams that competed this year would countenance 11 teams next year?

 I haven't enjoyed myself so much for years as I did at this crazy, quirky  regatta. Thanks again Jill for inviting us.
The finish line is a tree with Will Banks photo (photo 7). Each team have to hug Will, who is clearly greatly missed by everyone. A trophy is awarded for the best hugging.

No comments: