05 September 2020

Oh what a beautiful morning,

"Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh, what a beautiful day

I got a beautiful feeling, Everything's goin my way."

It was a beautiful spring morning when Nicky and I drove down the highway to Harwood. The forecast was for 11 knots NW to NE, warm and fine, at least until late afternoon.

Rod and Hariet had assured me in advance that if we needed help members would happily assist. I was a bit nervous as I am ageing and it was the first time that Nicky and I have been out together for ages. One kind member stood on my cabin top and raised the mast and another later lowered it. That was terrific, thanks. Of course the jib, as has happened so many times before, played up but Rod quickly solved the problem. 

That Rogers and Hammerstein song was written back in in 1943, the year I was born. I gave myself a seniors birthday present this year: to ask for help backing my trailer whenever possible. So a huge thank you to Rod and Wayne, who helped launch and retrieve us. 

With all this support we were both still calm, relaxed and happy when we headed out into the Big River and hoisted the mainsail. Thanks BRSC, you are a terrific club.

 

Nicky and I were confident that we could handle Little Dragon, especially with a reef in. The other trailer sailor, also with a very senior crew, also reefed. We had a ball, we gybed back and forth up the river to the new bridge, the first time Nicky has seen it complete. Then  we tacked back downstream to the club. We both had such a great time. 


The BRSC reopened last week for club racing after winter and the Covid lockdown. Of course it is observing all the social distancing and other rules. We enjoyed watching around a dozen dinghies going round the buoys and felt for those who capsized in still chilly water. 

After packing up we enjoyed a cup of tea in the new clubhouse, another first for Nicky, before the long drive home. It was a beautiful day and everything did go our way (thank goodness).







No comments: