20 February 2010

Round the buoys at the Big River Sailing Club

I slept aboard on the 19th February waiting to see what the weather would be like on Saturday, which is when it all happens at the Big River Sailing Club. That night I was lulled to sleep by lapping water and the gentle pitter patter of rain. Saturday morning it was still raining. Around lunch time I was so fed up that I was ready to pack up and head home when the rain stopped and a glorious afternoon emerged.

Savaad went home on Friday so I was crewless. John Woods immediately arranged for John Hayes to crew for me, he is an experienced sailor around my own age. We were going to compete in the regular Saturday afternoon club racing.

The briefing was alarming. Five different marks and each race consisted of 3 rounds of a slalom course, but the first round slightly different to the following rounds. To make matters worse there were due to be 3 of these ostensibly short races to give extra starting practice. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I was told "don't worry, just follow those ahead!". Luckily John, who had pretended not to listen to the briefing, knew exactly which the next mark was. I was the only trailer sailor out that afternoon and all the lasers soon got well ahead. We managed a reasonable start but were so much slower than the others that we told them to start the second race while we were still finishing the first race.

Some time ago John Woods told me that I should take part in club races if I wanted to improve my sailing skills. I have to admit he is right. I learnt heaps in just one afternoon. Thanks to John my crew and unflappable unofficial trainer. I still enjoy taking out novice sailors (our ocean swimming group has an inexhaustible pool) and encouraging them to "have a go". Little Dragon is very forgiving in most conditions - but perhaps I should join in a few more club races.

No comments: