19 November 2009

Dropping the keel the easy way

There has been an animated online discussion on The Trailer Sailer Place about ways of getting the keel out of a trailer sailer. The ideas including tipping the boat over on one side and securing the mast to a tree - but there was speculation that might distort the hull. I had two offers of help but finally I decided that it was too heavy a job for mates and to do it the easy way. I took Little Dragon to Harwood Slipway just next to the BRSC.



The boat was lifted and the keel removed, sandblasted, painted and put back again with a new winch wire, bushes, block, flanges etc - I am still on a steep learning curve.


I was pleased to find a Kiwi shipwright at Harwood Slipway who was a Farr afficionado, he used to own a Farr 7.4m and has sailed with Bruce Farr. When he took the winch to bits he found that the tiny block the winch wire goes round was totally stuffed. Needed replacement. Problem: The New Zealand makers had gone out of business and no-one else makes one the right size. My mate Peter Barnes (a retired fitter and turner) came to the rescue and did an amazing job totally rebuilding the old block using a lump of brass he has had since he was an apprentice. Thanks a heap Peter.

I had a hunch that it was time to get the keel and winch checked and I am relieved that it is now done - even though my wallet is now lighter.


NoPosted by Picasa

No comments: