14 November 2009

Little Dragon goes racing

Although I have tagged along with the annual Bridge to Breakers race for the last 2 years from Harwood to Iluka and back, a marathon 42 kms, I have steadfastly refused to race. The last time I entered a race was around 50 years ago when I was about 18. However, after surprising myselfy by enjoying a Sailability scratch race on Lake Ainsworth in a 2.2m access dinghy, I started thinking well "why not give it a go?".

I spoke to my friend Duncan Dey, who regularly wins the NS14 class. He was very supportive and lent me the latest racing rules. They have certainly changed in 50 years. Way back then if one stuffed up one had to retire, now one is meant to do penalty turns - a much better idea. I spent hours doing the the Kingston Beach Sailing Club animated on line racing rules quiz.

Although my crew Noela had never competed in a yacht race she has competed in other sports. She was willing to "give it a go". So, with considerable trepidation, I signed the entry form.

The Big River Sailing Club runs the 2 day regatta. Hariet Woodrow, Commodore, was amazing. As well as appearing to coordinate absolutely everything she cooked 10 dozen sticky date puddings for the Saturday dinner. I bet she is the only Commodore in the world to do that. In fact the whole BRSC team did a great job and I thank you all for giving us all such an enjoyable and smooth running regatta.

The race briefing was given by Phil Cavanagh. There were over 60 boats competing, split into 8 divisions with 3 starts. Little Dragon was with the other trailer sailors in division 7.
I was so determined not to be over the start line, or in fact anywhere near the yachts jockeying for position, that I ended up around 2 mins late in crossing the start line. I consoled myself that it shouldn't make much difference in a race that was going to take around 3.5 hours.

The conditions were near perfect, warm and dry, winds E to ENE around 7 to 11 knots. Unfortunately we never caught up with the boats ahead of us - but they were all rated as faster than us. Noela and I took turns at the helm and although maybe we concentrated a bit more than usual we enjoyed ourselves. Noela spotted sea eagles. We watched the fast catamarans come flying past us with athletic sailors hanging out on trapezes. It was far more comfortable in Little Dragon and I have to admit that on the run back from Iluka to Harwood we even had a cup of tea. Very civilised but apparently not the norm when racing.

To our absolute amazement when the handicaps were worked out we came 10th out of 13. My aim had just been to finish.







After an excellent dinner Noela and I slept soundly aboard Little Dragon and the last photo was taken early on Sunday morning before I dressed for breakfast.








Posted by Picasa

No comments: