22 August 2012

Pam becomes an Ancient Mariner

Finally I made a Wednesday gathering of the BRSC Ancient Mariners. Learn more about them on their blog http://www.brscancientmariners.blogspot.com.au/

Keith Mountford came along to crew for the day and the weather was so perfect that it would have been a crime not to launch Little Dragon and have an afternoon sail. Wind just right. Temperature just right. Slack tide.


Keith and I alternated at the helm while we were tacking down river, but Keith came into his own on the run. He handled my whisker pole with great applomb. Not surprising really as when he was a youngster he was forward hand in those seriously competitive 18 ft skiffs on Sydney Harbour.
 
 

I thought lunch time was the right moment to drop a hint that my starboard navigation light needed wiring up. I suspect tongue in cheek, the Ancient Mariners produced soldering gear and told me to get on with it. I have never even seen a soldering iron before let alone a crimping iron and hadn't a clue how to start - but I am happy to learn. After the requisite period of teasing Barry Swanson generously stepped in and wired up my new light. It ended up not needing soldering. Thank you Ancient Mariner Garry Swanson.

No comments: